Heat Pump Service Is Critical For Spring Performance
Professional heat pump service as well as light DIY maintenance are both strategies to ensure you get all the benefits of heat pump performance and efficiency. Unlike a standalone furnace or air conditioner, a heat pump pulls double duty, heating all winter and keeping you cool all summer. This places more annual wear and tear on the unit, as well as shortens or eliminates downtime when preventive service and/or maintenance aren’t required.
A heat pump can deliver as many as four units of heating or cooling for every one unit of electricity consumed. However, these superior efficiency ratings rely heavily on regular owner maintenance as well as heat pump service by a qualified HVAC technician.
Service You Can Do
- Air filter changes – Heat pumps operate on higher airflow requirements than standard HVAC equipment. Keep the air flowing freely through the system by changing the filter yourself monthly.
- Clear the vents – Make sure all supply vents are open and unobstructed by furniture, drapes or other obstacles to free airflow. Vacuum dust accumulation from the vent fins regularly.
- Outdoor upkeep – Maintain the outdoor unit by keeping vegetation cut back at least two feet on all sides to sustain proper airflow into the intake vents. Check the fan grille for leaves, twigs or other debris. If the internal coil appears dusty or covered by leaves or grass clippings, turn off electrical power to the unit and hose it down with a garden hose.
What an HVAC Professional Will Do
- Measure airflow and compare to manufacturer’s specs.
- Check the level of refrigerant, and if it’s low, perform lead detection.
- Inspect all electrical connections.
- Lubricate indoor and outdoor blower motors and inspect drive belts for wear.
- Visually inspect ducts. If leakage is noted, pressure test ducts and seal leaks.
- Inspect coils for dirt and dust accumulation or mold contamination. Clean and disinfect as required.
- Confirm proper operation of lockout control that disables heating when the thermostat is set for cooling and vice versa.
- Verify proper thermostat readings and calibrate thermostat if necessary.
Learn more about professional heat pump service from Brennan’s Heating & Air or contact us today at 703-291-1677.
You May Also Like
If your heat pump has a variable-speed motor, your system will operate constantly at various capacities to save energy. But if you… Continue Reading Why Does My Heat Pump in Woodbridge, VA, Run Constantly?…
Thermostats are a vital part of any HVAC system, but they can also be tricky to navigate. If you’re a homeowner in… Continue Reading 4 HVAC Thermostat Mistakes You Don’t Have to Make…
Indoor air quality (IAQ) is essential to pet ownership in Woodbridge, VA. Poor IAQ can lead to various health issues for pets… Continue Reading 3 Ways for Pet Owners to Maintain IAQ in Woodbridge, VA…