Here are 5 Tips to Help You Prepare Your HVAC System for Spring in Northern, VA
The Northern, VA spring is literally just around the corner. Luckily, you still have time to prepare your home’s air conditioning and heating system. With several years as a leader in the air conditioning and heating service repair needs of northern VA residents, we’ve used our expertise to provide you with five helpful tips to prepare your HVAC system for spring.
1. Change or clean the air filters – If your air conditioning or heating system uses a disposable air filter, now is the time to dispose of it. Dirty and clogged air filters are one of the leading causes of HVAC system malfunctions. It’s best practice to change the filter out at least once a month.
2. Clean the exterior of the unit. Clean away any debris or obstructions such as: leaves, tree limbs, and trash that may be on the outside of your unit. Northern, VA is known for windy fall and winter weather; you may be surprised by how many obstructions you find inside your unit.
3. Schedule an inspection for your air conditioner. Hire a trained heating and air conditioning technician to come to your home and perform a thorough inspection of your air conditioning and heating systems. This will prepare your cooling system for the spring and your heating system for the fall.
4. Give it a test run. Power on your air conditioner and allow it to run for several moments. If you haven’t used your system all winter, this will give you an idea if there are any existing problems before the summer time rush.
5. Check your cold air returns. Close the lower cold air returns and open the ones on top.