How to Save on Winter Heating Bills
Getting through a winter in Arlington, VA can be expensive, but it doesn’t have to be if you understand how to save on cold weather expenses. At Brennan’s Heating & Air Conditioning, a professional HVAC contractor serving the northern part of Virginia, we enjoy teaching our customers how to save on winter heating bills. As a member of the Arlington, VA community since 1979, we pride ourselves on the quality of our products and services. More importantly, we appreciate the relationships we have formed with thousands of customers over the years and work hard to ensure your complete satisfaction.
Brennan’s Top Money-Saving Tips
When you’re ready to get serious about reducing your heating costs, try these tips:
- Check your doors and windows for air leaks and seal them with caulking and weather-stripping materials.
- Invest in a programmable thermostat and set it to automatically drop the temperature while you are sleeping and away from home. The Department of Energy (DOE) estimates that you can save three percent on your heating bill for every one degree you set your thermostat below 72 degrees.
- Make sure that you have an adequate amount of insulation in your home. If you aren’t certain how much you need, schedule an appointment with Brennan’s for an evaluation. We will make sure that you have the recommended minimum for this region.
- Keep drafts out of your home by installing storm windows and doors.
- Consider putting in low-flow shower heads and faucets to save on the cost of hot water.
- Be certain to clean your HVAC system filters monthly and replace them at least once every 90 days.
- Turn the thermostat setting on your water heater below 120 degrees. This is a default factory setting and it is usually higher than necessary.
Don’t Forget Annual Preventative Maintenance
Instituting the above tips won’t save you much money if you neglect to schedule preventative maintenance twice per year. We recommend that you schedule an air conditioner tune-up in the early spring and a heating system tune-up in the early fall to promote optimum energy efficiency. Brennan’s Air Conditioning & Heating offers three different service agreements to ensure that your HVAC equipment receives the attention it needs and deserves.
When we inspect your air conditioner or heating system, we provide you with a detailed report for your records. This provides you with the information you need about the condition of your equipment so you can keep up with needed repairs. A small repair now is much better than a system breakdown later. Our service plan members also receive additional discounts and priority service over non-members.
You May Also Like
Effective ductwork is important in any home in Reston, VA. Ducts that aren’t properly maintained can lead to several problems, including decreased… Continue Reading 5 Signs You Have Dirty Ductwork in Reston, VA…
You may agree your air conditioning system is one of your most vital appliances, especially during the summer. You could be unknowingly… Continue Reading 3 Costly Air Conditioning Mistakes You Should Avoid…
When you’re shopping for a new HVAC system for your Fairfax, VA, home, you might hear people talking about loads. If you’re… Continue Reading HVAC Loads and Their Importance for Installations…