The Ins and Outs of a Home Energy Audit
If your home in Arlington, Virginia, is too cold in the winter or too warm in the summer, it may be time for a home energy audit. Find out how a home energy audit can help you find where your home is losing energy and where you might require repairs.
How a Home Energy Audit Works
During a home energy audit, we’ll meet with you to learn about your usage patterns and consumption concerns. We’ll:
- Inspect your home’s HVAC system and test its equipment
- Examine your home’s air conditioner, heat pump, furnace, ductwork and the quality of its insulation
- Conduct a carbon monoxide test to make sure no unsafe levels are present
What Happens After a Home Energy Audit
After the energy audit, you’ll receive a report that includes recommendations on how to improve your home’s overall energy efficiency.
For example, if we find that your HVAC system is in good operating condition, we may recommend that you schedule regular preventive maintenance checks to keep it running correctly. But if we find that you have an older or inefficient HVAC system, we may suggest replacing it. If your home’s ductwork is leaking air, we’ll explain how duct sealing can correct the problem.
We’ll also offer techniques you can use to combat energy loss in the home, such as the following:
- Apply weather-stripping to outside or basement doors to prevent warm air from escaping
- Install energy-efficient light bulbs
- Caulk around windowsills to curb the entry of cold or hot air
- Fill spaces around pipes and wiring in the attic with minimal-expanding weatherizing foam
- Replace deteriorating insulation
The professionals at Brennan’s Heating & Air Conditioning are your home energy experts. Call us today at 703-783-0145 to schedule a home HVAC system inspection and learn ways you can improve your home’s energy efficiency. We’re here to help you save as much as possible!
Image provided by Shutterstock
You May Also Like
The average person in Stafford, VA, spends most of their time inside. While you can’t control how clean the air is at… Continue Reading Duct Cleaning and Other Ways to Improve Your Indoor Air Quality…
Using a heat pump effectively is entirely different than using a furnace. Consider these five mistakes people around Woodbridge, VA, make when… Continue Reading Don’t Make These 5 Heat Pump Mistakes in Woodbridge, VA…
No homeowner wants their furnace to develop problems during the coldest period of the year. One of the most common furnace issues… Continue Reading Why is My Furnace Making My Home in Oakton, VA, Colder?…