Carrier Factory Authorized Dealer

Available 24 hours
7 days a week!

Schedule An Appointment
Leave Us A Review

The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide Leaks

As you schedule annual HVAC maintenance to ensure your heating system is in good condition to tackle winter in Woodbridge, there are benefits other than home comfort. Your HVAC technician should ensure your furnace has no leaks, and that there is no opportunity for backdrafts that can cause gases to invade your home. Carbon Monoxide is dangerous and every precaution should be taken to protect your household.

Why Carbon Monoxide is Dangerous

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas that is produced from the fumes of your furnace, gas ranges, generators, motor vehicles, fireplace, and grills. The cold months are generally when we tend to see increases in the incidence of CO poisoning. Poisoning can result in dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, headaches, and even death. The fact that symptoms such as headache and dizziness can be easily thought to be symptoms of other conditions makes CO especially dangerous. Affected persons remain in the location not realizing it is in fact the cause of their symptoms — as a result making it worse.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) more than 400 persons die in the US each year from CO poisoning, with more than 20,000 ER visits and 4,000 hospitalizations. In February of this year, five persons were treated at the hospital for CO poisoning from a Woodbridge laundromat.

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide can easily spread throughout your home from inside as well as outside sources. Apart from checking your HVAC and other combustion equipment around your home, there are other important measures you need to implement:

  • Ensure CO detectors are properly installed and according to local codes.
  • Get into the habit of changing the batteries in your CO detectors each spring and fall.
  • Make sure gas appliances are properly vented to go outdoors.
  • Do not operate generators indoors.
  • Do not leave a car running in an attached garage even if the garage door is open.

The elderly, children, and persons with respiratory problems are among those most susceptible to CO poisoning. Even your pets are at risk.

Learn more about carbon monoxide poisoning by calling the experts at Brennan’s Heating & Air Conditioning at (703) 491-2771 . Our technicians can provide the right solutions to help keep you safe and comfortable year-round.

Image Provided by Shutterstock.

You May Also Like

Enjoying Home With Healthy Humidity Level
April 29, 2024

6 Reasons to Control Your Home’s Humidity Levels in Dumfries, VA

The humidity levels in your home can greatly influence the comfort and safety of your indoor air. You need to keep it… Continue Reading 6 Reasons to Control Your Home’s Humidity Levels in Dumfries, VA

Read More…

AC Efficiency
April 19, 2024

How You Can Boost AC Efficiency in Oakton, VA

When your air conditioner system operates with peak efficiency, benefits like system longevity and financial savings on utility bills follow. Before summer… Continue Reading How You Can Boost AC Efficiency in Oakton, VA

Read More…

Heat Pump
March 27, 2024

Should My Heat Pump Run Constantly in Woodbridge, VA?

A heat pump that doesn’t work at all presents an obvious problem, but one that won’t stop working can be just as… Continue Reading Should My Heat Pump Run Constantly in Woodbridge, VA?

Read More…

Compliance Settings
Increase Font Size
Simplified Font
Underline Links
Highlight Links