These Energy-Saving Tips Should be Part of Your Summer Routine
Are you afraid of the upcoming summer months because of the added use of energy it will cause? If that’s the case, these energy-saving tips should put your mind at ease by keeping your energy usage and monthly costs under control:
- Get a check-up for your A/C unit – Once a year, you should hire an HVAC technician to give your system a tune-up. This will help it run more efficiency and prolong its life.
- Turn up the heat – If possible, crank up your thermostat to 78 when you’re in the house and 85 when you’re not at home.
- Install a programmable thermostat – A great way to effectively lower energy usage is by using a programmable thermostat, which gives you the ability to control the days and times when the A/C unit is in operation.
- Fans may be enough – Unless the outside temperature is extreme, fans may be more than enough to keep you cool. Just remember that a fan will cool you off, but it won’t lower the temperature of a room, so when you leave the room, switch the fan off to conserve energy.
- Consider a zoning system – When you run the A/C in a traditional cooling setup, your cooling system must condition the entire house, even if only one room is occupied. A zoning system uses a central control panel and multiple thermostats to split your home into zones so that you can concentrate your cooling efforts.
- Limit yourself to Energy Star certified products – When you purchase a new piece of HVAC equipment or almost any kind of electronic equipment, only purchase products that have been certified by Energy Star. This will ensure a greater energy efficiency.
- Lower your oven and stove usage – The use of the oven or stove increases the heat in your home, causing the air conditioner to kick on and work harder to lower the temperature. Only use these appliances when temperatures are low or, even better, switch to a microwave.
For more amazing energy-saving tips or other home comfort concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact the professionals at Brennan’s Heating & Air.
You May Also Like
The average person in Stafford, VA, spends most of their time inside. While you can’t control how clean the air is at… Continue Reading Duct Cleaning and Other Ways to Improve Your Indoor Air Quality…
Using a heat pump effectively is entirely different than using a furnace. Consider these five mistakes people around Woodbridge, VA, make when… Continue Reading Don’t Make These 5 Heat Pump Mistakes in Woodbridge, VA…
No homeowner wants their furnace to develop problems during the coldest period of the year. One of the most common furnace issues… Continue Reading Why is My Furnace Making My Home in Oakton, VA, Colder?…