Troubleshooting Tips for Heat Pump Problems
Is your heat pump not performing as well as you think it should? Does it refuse to come on, or does it not cool as well as you want it to on hot days? Did you think it wasn’t keeping your house warm enough during the cold snap last winter? Here are a few heat pump troubleshooting steps you can take before you call for expert help.
Heat Pump Won’t Run
If your heat pump won’t come on, the first heat pump troubleshooting step to take is to make sure it’s getting power. Start with the thermostat, then check the power supply to the heat pump.
- Check your thermostat’s batteries. A battery-operated thermostat won’t signal the heat pump to come on if the batteries are dead. This obvious factor is easy to overlook and results in many unnecessary service calls.
- Check the thermostat settings. Be sure the thermostat is set to the correct mode, such as “cool” for summer operation. Then set the temperature a few degrees below the room temperature (for heating, set the thermostat above room temperature) so that it will send a call for cooling to the heat pump.
- If your system still doesn’t come on, check the power supply. Your heat pump may be served by several different fuses or circuit breakers, so ask your HVAC contractor to walk you through the entire setup so you know where they are.
- Reset any tripped circuit breakers or replace blown fuses. If the breaker immediately trips again or if the fuse fails immediately, you have an electrical problem that needs professional attention.
Heat Pump Runs, But Doesn’t Cool or Heat Well
Your system needs unrestricted airflow for proper operation. If the following steps don’t improve your system’s performance, call your HVAC contractor.
- Change the air filter if it’s dirty.
- Remove dead grass and leaves from the outdoor unit.
- Clean the indoor and outdoor coils.
- Be sure the supply and return ducts aren’t blocked.
Still having problems with your heat pump? Call us at Brennan’s Heating & Air for expert service.
You May Also Like
If your heat pump has a variable-speed motor, your system will operate constantly at various capacities to save energy. But if you… Continue Reading Why Does My Heat Pump in Woodbridge, VA, Run Constantly?…
Thermostats are a vital part of any HVAC system, but they can also be tricky to navigate. If you’re a homeowner in… Continue Reading 4 HVAC Thermostat Mistakes You Don’t Have to Make…
Indoor air quality (IAQ) is essential to pet ownership in Woodbridge, VA. Poor IAQ can lead to various health issues for pets… Continue Reading 3 Ways for Pet Owners to Maintain IAQ in Woodbridge, VA…