Well-Sealed Air Ducts Help You Save
About 20 percent of the air that moves through your home’s air ducts is likely lost due to leaks, holes and poorly fitted connections. Without a properly sealed duct system, your HVAC system won’t run as efficiently as it should. Not only will you end up with higher utility bills, but it also will be more difficult to keep your home at comfortable temperatures. However, there’s plenty you can do to make sure the air ducts are properly sealed.
What You Can Do
- Start with a visual inspection of the ducts in areas you can access. Some portions may be blocked or concealed within walls, ceilings, basements or attics, so it may be necessary to bring an HVAC contractor in for an inspection.
- Use mastic sealant or metal tape to seal off cracks and gaps, as well as to refit loose connections. Refrain from using duct tape, as the adhesive backing isn’t designed to cope with the constant temperature changes experienced by ductwork.
- Make sure the vent and register connections are properly sealed.
What Your Contractor Can Do
Professional HVAC contractors have the skill, experience and tools to properly evaluate and improve duct system performance. In addition to inspecting, sealing and replacing damaged air ducts, your contractor may offer suggestions for improving the ductwork.
Some of the tasks your contractor will perform on-site include:
- Inspect the entire duct system, including hard-to-reach areas.
- Adjust the HVAC system’s supply and return air balance for improved efficiency.
- Make adjustments to duct size based on air flow rates, HVAC system capacity and other information.
Contractors play a crucial role when it comes to any type of HVAC issue. Having one around can save you plenty of headaches when it comes to keeping your home’s ductwork sealed up tight.
Please contact us at Brennan’s Heating & Air to learn more about how sealed ducts can help you save money and remain comfortable year-round.
You May Also Like
The average person in Stafford, VA, spends most of their time inside. While you can’t control how clean the air is at… Continue Reading Duct Cleaning and Other Ways to Improve Your Indoor Air Quality…
Using a heat pump effectively is entirely different than using a furnace. Consider these five mistakes people around Woodbridge, VA, make when… Continue Reading Don’t Make These 5 Heat Pump Mistakes in Woodbridge, VA…
No homeowner wants their furnace to develop problems during the coldest period of the year. One of the most common furnace issues… Continue Reading Why is My Furnace Making My Home in Oakton, VA, Colder?…