So you’ve had your HVAC system and it’s ready to go for another cooling season in Woodbridge, VA — or is it? Before you settle in for the warm weather, don’t forget to make sure the ductwork is clean. Read on to learn some common signs you should add duct cleaning to your spring to-do list.
What are Air Ducts?
You probably don’t see your ducts except in the basement. Air ducts move air through the HVAC system, and they sit behind walls. If your air ducts are dirty or damaged, your HVAC system won’t operate at peak efficiency. As a result, you’ll pay higher energy bills.
Signs That Something’s Wrong
There are signs to look for that should tip you off when you need duct cleaning. If you find someone in your household coughing or experiencing a sore throat or congestion for no apparent reason, you may have dirty ductwork. You also need to check for:
- Dusty vents: If they’re dirty on the outside, they’re probably dirty on the inside.
- Higher utility bills: If the ducts have clogs, the system works harder.
- Pests: Do you hear anything moving in the walls? Rodents could have moved in.
- Continuous dust: Does your home seem too dusty even after you clean and vacuum?
- Odors: Do you ever smell unpleasant odors around the air vents?
- Decreased airflow: Do some rooms have less airflow than others?
Schedule Duct Cleaning
If any of these things sound familiar, scheduling duct cleaning. This isn’t a do-it-yourself job. Along with the necessary skills and training, only HVAC service technicians have the tools. It takes a special vacuum and camera to do the work. To improve air quality even more, you can upgrade your air filters.
Dirty air vents and ducts can create a whole host of health issues and make your utility bill go up. The best way to deal with the problem is to call our team at Brennan’s Heating & Air Conditioning for ductwork cleaning.
Image provided by iStock